Monday, June 15, 2009

Friendships

For more than four decades I have been involved in sports. This last weekend I had a moment when I realized that whether I was a competitor, a coach, or an event director, I had always enjoyed the friendships that accompanied my participation in sports.
I still remember many of the names and faces from those early years. I smile as I think of the times we laughed, cried, and sweated our way through workouts. I even have good memories of those who were “bitter rivals” and fierce competitors.
Over the last 20 years I have coached, mentored, and encouraged more than 20,000 athletes. Some I have accompanied as they have reached great public victory. Others I have cheered as they enjoyed the great satisfaction of personal victory. All I have admired as they have overcome challenges to reach such achievements.
I believe the years ahead will hold more of the same experiences. And with those experiences will come new friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment